Now that we’ve been in our new home for 10 days, I figured a recap is in order. So far in Monterey:
- Andrew and Sarah Ling are terrific move-helpers. I highly recommend them. But they’ll probably make you cry when you say goodbye.
We built a fire our first night here. It wasn’t freezing outside, but it was definitely chilly, and coming from the desert in the summer, it just felt like it had to be done.
- The coast really is stunning. I mean, you’re not going to lounge around in your swimsuit reading US Weekly while you get a tan, but it still soothes my soul.
- I found a doctor, but I couldn’t get an appointment until the 16th,which is a bit longer between appointments than I’m supposed to have at this point. Still feeling good though. Now to do hospital tour and find a birth class and make more calls to the insurance company to find out exactly what they cover. Blaaaaaaaah.
- California drivers deserve their reputation as totally insane. I’ll leave it at that.
- I got locked out of the house for 2 hours while Travis was exploring Big Sur with Melody, Charlotte, Autumn and Zach. Thank goodness the car was randomly unlocked, so I just broke the pups out of the kitchen’s doggy door and took a nap with them in the back seat.
- We checked out a church. I think they’re having a little bit of an identity crisis, so it was kind of an odd experience. We missed 2nd Mile and Tucson.
- We ate at a placed called Pizza My Heart three times (twice in one day) – once each in Santa Cruz, Palo Alto and Monterey. I normally avoid businesses with puns for a name, but I made an exception.
- TV not starting until 8 p.m. for the Pacific time zone makes for some cruelly late Olympics watching.
- Maeby bears a striking resemblance to a harbor seal. Photographic evidence to come.
- San Francisco still is not my favorite city, but it does have some great shops.
- It really is a lovely experience to be able to walk 10 minutes to a downtown farmer’s market.
I still need to write a Tucson goodbye post, but I haven’t had the capacity to do that just yet.